Friday, February 15, 2013

Living Fearless

In order to cut back on the long, drawn-out blog article that I started this morning, (yes... I can be VERY long winded when I want to be :)  I'm going to bullet point a couple of important things so I can avoid boring you to death and get right to the point :)

  1. I come from a rather large family with ten children. 10 girls, no boys!  (Yes, I know... everyone says it... YOUR POOR FATHER!!!)

  2. I've had several sisters tell me that I got whatever I wanted and was spoiled.
I woke up this morning to see this image posted by one of my high-school girlfriends.  I LOVE it!  You see... I didn't just get whatever I wanted as a kid.  Maybe it's because I'm a middle child.  Maybe it's because I was a strong-willed child (still AM :)... I really don't know.  But, the reason I got what I really wanted is because of the 3 Simple Rules you see in that pic above.  When I wanted my dog, I asked, and asked, and begged, and asked, and pleaded and asked again.  SO guess what?  I got that dog for my 10th birthday!

I realize that not everyone is born strong-willed and hard-headed.  But these rules have made a huge difference in my life.  I know I have my Mother to thank for this... My attitude is not to ask why... it's to ask WHY NOT?

Why not try out for a band?  Why not coach soccer?  Why not get my doula certification?

No... I don't have everything figured out.  I DO know this :)  I'm a pretty hot mess at times, and fairly disorganized... but getting out of my 'comfort zone' is something I actively force myself to do.  When I'm 60 looking back, I want to know that I really tried.  

Yes... I'll fail... and I have failed... but like the country girl I am... when I get kicked off my horse... I just force myself to get right back on.  (And now that 90's Chumbawamba song is dancing through my brain... "I get knocked down... but I get up again..." My life's theme song for sure!)  

What it comes down to is this...

I, Michelle Hillaert, am determined to live my life FEARLESS!  And... as someone who has experienced the hurts and the thrills that come with it... I have to tell you, IT'S WORTH IT!  And I want to encourage you to do the same.

Force yourself to get out of your comfort zone.  Take a step toward that one thing you really want to do.  Finally...  KEEP WALKING.

Life is a crazy ride, and the fun only begins when you make it happen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment