Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Diet KEEPING: Southwest Carnita & Bean Salad!

I'm into day three of my BeachBody 90 Day Love Your Body Challenge... and you know what???  I wasn't even TEMPTED to eat that half of a homemade delectable cheesecake that was just staring at me every time I opened my fridge.  I don't know if it was the thought of losing my chance at an iPad or just the fact that my cravings are pretty non-existant due to my daily Shakeology intake, but I DID succeed.  (I will, however, share with you that we had the kids finish it off so that the temptation wouldn't be there on a weak day ;)

So, last night, I posted my dinner in our super secret Facebook group (And no... you may NOT see into our spectacular group... we're too busy keeping diets!  Um... er... or confessing about NOT keeping diets... in a very PRIVATE environment...  LOL).  Anyway... last night's dinner just happened to be a SUPER yummy dinner that both filled and satisfied my mexican food cravings!  So... in the spirit of transparency... and in the hope of motivating my awesome challengers to keep on the straight and narrow... here is my recipe!

and I dub thee....

Southwest Carnita & Bean Salad

Ingredients:
1c  Canned black beans (120 calories)
1/4c  Guacamole (60 calories)
1c  Organic Lettuce Mix (15 calories)
1/4c  Pico de Gallo (19 calories)
1/2c  Prepared Pulled Pork (180 calories)


Prepare Pico de Gallo:
I usually make enough Pico de Gallo to use with other meals, so this is just a rough idea of how much stuff to put in it...

6 roma tomatoes
1 small onion
1/2 cup minced cilantro
1/2 lime
salt

  • Dice tomatoes and place in a small mixing bowl
  • Mince small onion and add to the mixing bowl
  • Add cilantro to the mixing bowl.
  • Squeeze 1/2 lime in with the other ingredients. (Tip: If you are squeezing with your hand, take a fork and twist it inside the lime as your squeezing to let out more juice).
  • Mix and salt to taste


Prepare Guacamole:
Again... I always make enough for extra snacking later!

1 ripe avocado
2T Pico de Gallo mix
Lime
  • Cut open the avocado and use a spoon to remove the 'meat' and put it into a small mixing bowl.
  • Add Pico de Gallo to the mix.
  • Squeeze 1/2 lime in with the other ingredients. (Tip: If you are squeezing with your hand, take a fork and twist it inside the lime as your squeezing to let out more juice).
  • Mix and salt to taste

Prepare Southwest Carnita & Bean Salad
  • Spoon black beans onto the right center of your plate.
  • Place pulled pork next to the black beans.
  • Cut organic lettuce with a knife and gently lay next to and slightly over black beans.
  • Spoon Pico de Gallo over the pulled pork.
  • Spoon guacamole on to the plate, next to the pulled pork.

And now for the best part...
ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment